Monday, July 28, 2014

August Afternoon on the Hudson

Last year the state of New York opened up a tract of land called the Essex Chain of Lakes. The state bought the land from a corporation and an organization called the Gooley Club.  The club consisted of  a group of people who built camps and a clubhouse on the property years ago and were avid fishermen and campers.  Now that the land is open to the public, my husband, grandson and I walked back to the end of the Indian Lake section, about four miles.  This section of the Hudson is about a mile in, near the Gooley Clubhouse.  It's so serene and peaceful back there, although, as we walked down to the river, my grandson and I heard dogs barking.  Knowing that no one else was around, we acknowledged that the "dogs" were probably coyotes, who were not happy with us invading their territory.  Once at the river, they disappeared and Matt and I enjoyed the gorgeous setting and beautiful day.  I took the reference photo before leaving and started this painting before setting out for California in late April  I have just now finished it.  A lovely afternoon on the Hudson.
16x0 pastel on board

No comments: